Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blog Post 1

  1. Tech Past: I have had continuous experience with computers in the classroom throughout my schooling. In elementary school, all students took a computer tutorial class and typing lessons. In fourth and fifth grade, we played educational games such as "Oregon Trail" and exciting speed typing games. My district students were introduced to computers and the educational benefits early on in elementary school, which helped us in the long run. In middle school, we learned how to research and use different databases and tools. In high school some students brought their laptops to class and we went to the library on occasion for research but students were expected to be proficient in using technology for education. Also, in junior and senior year we used wikis for at home discussion boards. 
  2. Tech for Teachers: I would use Microsoft Office to communicate with students, parents, or peers because it has many different functions and I am familiar with it. I would use Microsoft Excel to keep track of grades and attendance. I would also use Excel to show trends in student's grades and performance. I would use Word to create newsletters and emails to send to parents and students about current events and updates. I would use Powerpoints in class and post them on a website so students can follow my lesson plan and go back to it at home to make sure they have notes on all topics. Additionally, parents can access the Powerpoint presentations to see what their students are learning about in class.

1 comment:

  1. Sally,
    You are fortunate to have such a rich technology integration background in your own K-12 schooling (this is not yet typical, but times are changing!). It will serve you well in the coming years. I enjoyed your comment about how parents who have access to in-class presentations can better know what their child is learning...involving parents in the process is one of the best ways to ensure success for your students.

    ReplyDelete